10 Kasım 2013 Pazar

Why do we still love Mr Darcy?

Written by Ayça

200 years old and still got it

Next January Pride And Prejudice is two centuries old.

It’s just not possible to dislike Jane Austen

I was 13 when I fell in love with Mr Darcy. Well, of course I have the BBC box set. And I’ve watched it at least 50 times. Those six episodes of absolute genius have got me through illnesses, heartache, snow days and multiple hangovers. And the Keira Knightley film version? Of course, I watched the movie. The book? Absolutely, yes. And the rest of Austen’s offerings? Read and re-read so many times, I carry all her novels around on my iPad.

But, my mild Austen obsession aside, let’s for one moment focus on the greatest victory in her back catalogue: Mr Darcy. A man so proud, so sure of his status, wealth, and position in society. That he felt he couldn’t be seen in company with the poorer Elizabeth Bennet. He takes great pains to keep her vulgar family from his friends.When he can’t deny his feelings any longer,asks her to marry him. Elizabeth rejects him angrily. But he protects her family’s reputation at great cost to himself without the hope of her ever knowing, or reaping any reward. I think this is love.
Two centuries of, Fitzwilliam Darcy is still the man for countless women “definitely would”. Keira Knightley, who played Elizabeth Bennett in the 2005 film version of Pride And Prejudice said, “I think every girl is looking for her Mr Darcy.”
Mr. Darcy always love Elizabeth. This makes him a new sort of hero. When Austen penned Darcy in 1812 she perpetuated the myth that a woman can change a man. Elizabeth makes him a better man. It’s a model for our love stories.So that’s it. A man who is generous and kind-hearted; who can protect, provide and listen, and who is prepared to change. That’s what Darcy stands for.


NOTES
 http://www.stylist.co.uk/books/why-we-still-love-mr-darcy#image-rotator-1

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder